quarta-feira

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY (part two)

Share
After all the hype and the pressure, I finally watched Paranormal Activity. I have to admit: after comments and reviews, I was really afraid to watch this movie. Not because I would feel frightened during the movie, but *after* the movie... when I'd be alone in the dark!

(Note: the spoilers are marked in red)


But the result was not what I expected. As everyone pointed out, Paranormal Activity is an example of how you don't need much money or famous actors to make an original, exciting film. But it's also an example of how the way you watch a movie is crucial to determine your reaction to it.

I won't say much about the story: iRaphael's post tells you all you need to know (click on the link to access his post). All you'll hear from me is: I thought this film was entertaining, original, fun, well-acted, realistic, sometimes funny (!)...

...but not as disturbing and horrifying as people are pointing it out to be. I was literally surprised when this film was over. The 86 minutes of projection swang by! The last scene (actually the best scene in the entire film) was surprising and creepy. I haven't seen the other endings, but this one was really cool.

The "special effects" were convincing. Scenes like Katie being dragged out of bed and the Ouija board catching fire were good, without being corny. The (very short) budget was well spent, in my humble opinion.

Personally, I didn't care much for Micah. He treated everything like a big joke and even disrespected Katie! As a character, he was annoying... he was practically asking to die! Micah Sloat's acting was average; not horrible, but not memorable either.

But Katie Featherston... her acting was amazing. When she was possessed, her robotic/diabolic attitude was remarkable. When she cried, I could feel her pain, I felt bad for her. Her acting was so realistic that it added a lot to the film.

I don't care if some haters are calling her fat, because she is not. She is a real woman, *beautiful* without plastics or surgeries. She deserves much more than US$ 500: if Hollywood doesn't give her bigger roles, it will be such a waste. She is truly an amazing actress.

I watched this with friends, and we talked a few times; we even made jokes. So the entire terror atmosphere (if there once was any) was broken. This is the problem with horror movies: the creepy mood is easily spoiled.

That's why I recommend: if you really want to experience Paranormal Activity to the fullest, watch it alone and at night. Make sure there are no distractions during the session. Then you will be truly frightened.

I have no idea how they will pull off a sequel, but I think they will do it well. After all, they will have a bigger budget, a better known formula and Katie's talent. Plus: with Micah dead, the weakest element won't be a problem... just kidding.

A good indie flick, that will provide good entertainment. Maybe others will be more afraid than I was (I thought The Strangers was far scarier than this), but it's still a good attraction. My vote is 3 (uh... sorry, Rapha :D)

>> ZÉ B. [3/5]

IMDB link: HERE

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário